The death of Candy's dog is basically stating that the strong can easily dispose of the weak.
- Lennie kills a mouse (tiny and frail)
- Carlson shoots Candy's dog (old and decrepit)
- He is strong and doesn't want to give Curly the satisfaction of shooting his one and only friend.
- Candy couldn't send up for his dog. He was bullied by Carlson and allowed his only friend to be killed. (Carlson=strong-willed, Candy=weak)
- "Got a Luger. It won't hurt him at all. At last Candy said softly and hopelessly, 'Awright, take him.'" (pg 47)